Club History

This club was founded in 1887 and has a rich history. The first course was to the east of the town in Halbeath. It then moved to Ferryhills after only 3 years until 1929 when it moved to a James Braid course at Torrie. The final move to today's course at Pitfirrane was in 1953.

One of the earliest members of the club was Robert Lockhart who, with John Reid, introduced golf to the United States through the formation of the St Andrews Golf Club in New York. Both men came from Dunfermlne. Another famous son of Dunfermline, Andrew Carnegie, would also later become a member of the new American club.

The magnificent Pitfirrane House is the historic home of the Halkett family since the 15th century and is a worthy clubhouse. The building is also spectacular inside with its medieval woodwork, Flemish stained glass and ornate plaster ceiling in the dining room.

The building has changed shape over the centuries. In 1583 the turret staircase was built and the top storey added to replace the fortified walls. In the late 19th century a further extension was built but then demolished in the 1980s as it was beyond repair. The most modern extension was built to provide facilities for members and visitors. The pro-shop was built in the same style as the main building.

Two books, "Pitfirrane Houser & Its Policies" written by Ian G. Dewar O.B.E. and "Dunfermline Golf Club, 1887 - 1987" by Douglas M Ferguson (both current members) are available for purchase from The Secretary.
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book?

Our booking system will make it easy for you.
  • 2021-01-24
  • 2021-01-25
  • 2021-01-26
  • 2021-01-27
  • 2021-01-28
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
Course Status
Currently closed
24.01.2021 08:10
View Status
Frozen Snow Covered Areas Halkett Course is Closed. Next Course Inspection Monday Morning.
  • Covid Update
  • Fixture List 2021
  • 2020 Ladies ABM Minutes
  • Booking System Changes from 1/12/20
  • Club Rules